Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana)
Ber, also known as “Badara” in Ayurveda, is a tasty fruit as well as an efficient herbal cure for a variety of ailments.(HR/1)
Vitamin C, B1, and B2 are abundant in this fruit. Ber seed powder or Ber tea may aid in weight loss due to the presence of fibre and vitamin C, both of which aid in body metabolism and, as a result, digestion. Ber (Jujube fruit) consumption is also beneficial to diabetics since it lowers blood sugar levels, minimising the risk of diabetes-related problems.Ber’s laxative properties help to relieve constipation by stimulating bowel movements when consumed on a regular basis. Ber leaves have antipyretic (fever-lowering) properties and can be applied externally to alleviate fever. Due to its antioxidant and strong healing characteristics, ber fruit powder can also be used to the face in the form of a face mask to help treat skin infections and improve wound healing. Ber should be avoided if you have a cough or a cold because it has a cooling effect. If you have a poor digestive system, avoid consuming too much Ber because it is difficult to digest and can cause abdominal discomfort and stomach ache.
Ber is also known as :- Ziziphus mauritiana, Phenilm, Badara, Bhr, Barkoli, Beir, Yalachi, Mallelentha, Beer, Veer, Ildei, Elandi, Regu chettu, Bayar, Kul, Kol beir, Bor, Boriche jhad, Indian jujube, Indian cherry plum, Fal-e -kambak, Azifum
Ber is obtained from :- Plant
Uses and benefits of Ber:-
As per several scientific studies, uses and benefits of Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana) are mentioned as per below(HR/2)
- Hyperacidity : If consumed before meals, ber fruit can assist to prevent hyperacidity. An intensified Pitta is the main cause of hyperacidity, which is defined as an elevated level of acid in the stomach. Because of its Sita (chill) quality, eating sweet Ber fruit before meals helps to lower acid levels in the stomach. a. Take 1 to 2 cups of sweet Ber fruit. b. Take it before eating to help with hyperacidity.
- Constipation : An exacerbated Vata dosha leads to constipation. This can be caused by eating junk food frequently, drinking too much coffee or tea, sleeping late at night, stress, or despair. All of these variables increase Vata and produce constipation in the large intestine. The ripe ber fruit aids in the simple elimination of waste products and the relief of constipation. Vata balancing and Bhedna (purgative) characteristics are responsible for this. a. Take 1 to 2 cups of sweet Ber fruit. b. Take it after eating to relieve constipation.
- Asthma : Dried Ber fruit powder aids in the management of asthma symptoms and provides relief from shortness of breath. The main doshas associated in asthma, according to Ayurveda, are Vata and Kapha. In the lungs, vitiated ‘Vata’ joins with disturbed ‘Kapha dosha,’ obstructing the respiratory path. Breathing becomes difficult as a result of this. Swas Roga is the name for this disorder (Asthma). Ber fruit aids in the balance of Vata and Kapha, as well as the removal of excess mucus from the lungs. Asthma symptoms are relieved as a result of this. a. Take 1 to 2 cups of sweet Ber fruit. b. consume it prior to eating to alleviate asthma symptoms.
- Piles : Ber fruit powder can help to relieve the burning sensation and swelling associated with piles. Because of its Sita (cold) nature, this is the case. When used in a sitz bath (warm water bath covering the hips to ease discomfort), a decoction of Ber powder can provide relief from piles pain. Tips: a. Take 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Ber fruit powder, or as needed. b. Reduce the volume to half by boiling it in 2-4 cups of water. c. Filter it and mix it in a small tub with 2-5 litres of water. d. Soak for at least 15-20 minutes in a Sitz bath. e. Do this every day to keep piles from burning and expanding.
- Wound healing : Ripe Ber promotes rapid wound healing, reduces swelling, and restores the skin’s natural texture. Due to its Ropan (healing) and Pitta balancing characteristics, a paste of Ber fruit with coconut oil aids in rapid healing and minimises inflammation. Take 12 – 1 cup of Ber fruit as a starting point. a. Remove the seed and thoroughly mash the potatoes. c. Make a paste with the coconut oil. d. Use it to treat the damaged region. e. Allow it to air dry before washing with normal water. f. Keep doing this until the wound heals quickly.
- Hair loss : When applied to the scalp, ber powder or leaves aid to reduce hair loss and promote hair growth. This is owing to the fact that hair loss is mostly caused by an irritated Vata dosha in the body. Ber helps to prevent hair loss by regulating Vata. It also encourages fresh hair development and eliminates dryness. This is related to the qualities of Snigdha (oily) and Ropan (healing). a. Take 1/2-1 teaspoon powdered Ber fruit or leaves. b. Make a paste with the coconut oil. Completely cover the scalp and hair with it. Allow at least 1-2 hours for the process to complete. To address hair concerns, simply wash it with normal water.
- Anti-wrinkle : Wrinkles appear as a result of ageing, dry skin, and a lack of moisture in the skin. It is caused by an exacerbated Vata, according to Ayurveda. Ber’s Snigdha (oily) nature aids in the prevention of wrinkles and enhances the moisture level of the skin. 1 to 2 cup of Ber fruit Remove the seed and mash it thoroughly. Make a paste with the coconut oil. To control wrinkles, use once or twice a day to the afflicted area.
Precautions to be taken while using Ber:-
As per several scientific studies, below precautions should to be taken while taking Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana)(HR/3)
Special precautions to be taken while taking Ber:-
As per several scientific studies, below special precautions should to be taken while taking Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana)(HR/4)
How to take Ber:-
As per several scientific studies, Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana) can be taken into the methods mentioned as per below(HR/5)
- Ber Fruit : Take four to five Ber fruits. Eat them ideally in the breakfast.
- Ber Tea : Take two cups of water in a huge pot. Add a tiny piece of cinnamon and smashed ginger. Make a deep cut right into each Ber and add them to the pot containing water. Simmer for 4 hours on a low flame. Strain the liquid prior to drinking.
- Ber Seed Powder : Take one to two teaspoon of Ber seed powder. Add it to one glass of warm milk. Mix well prior to alcohol consumption.
- Ber fruit face mask : Take half to one teaspoon of Ber fruit powder. Add honey to it. Apply evenly on the face. Wait for atleast four to five minutes. Wash extensively with tap water. Use this remedy to cleanse your skin properly.
How much Ber should be taken:-
As per several scientific studies, Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana) should be taken into the amounts mentioned as per below(HR/6)
- Ber Powder : One fourth to one teaspoon twice a day, or, Half to one teaspoon or as per your requirement.
Side effects of Ber:-
As per several scientific studies, below side effects need to be taken into consideration while taking Ber (Ziziphus mauritiana)(HR/7)
- There is not enough scientific data available about side effects of this herb yet.
Questions asked frequently Related to the Ber:-
Question. Can Ber be eaten during pregnancy?
Answer. There is insufficient scientific evidence to support the use of Ber during pregnancy.
Question. Does Ber help you sleep better?
Answer. Yes, Ber may help you sleep better (manage insomnia) because it includes sedative ingredients (spinosin and swertish). It aids in the management of insomnia by calming the brain and inducing sleep.
When the Vata dosha is out of balance, sleep is usually disrupted. Ber’s Vata-balancing properties may aid in the improvement of your sleeping condition. This aids in the relaxation of brain nerves and promotes restful sleep.
Question. Does Ber aid in weight loss?
Answer. Ber’s high fibre content may aid in weight loss. It aids in the easy passage of stools by increasing faecal bulk. It also helps to remove fat from the body through faeces, lowering triglyceride levels. Ber boosts the body’s metabolism, allowing you to lose weight.
“Weight gain is a problem that arises as a result of inefficient or absent digestion, resulting in the creation and buildup of excessive fat and Ama” (toxins remain in the body due to incomplete digestion). Ber’s Deepan (appetiser), Ushna (hot), and Saarak (laxative) characteristics aid in weight management. It aids in the normal digestion of food as well as the removal of extra fat or Ama from the body. Tips: 1. Fill a big pot halfway with water. 2. Toss in a pinch of cinnamon and some crushed ginger. 3. Cut 2-3 Ber fruits in half and place them in the kettle of water. 4. Simmer for 4 hours over a low heat. 5. Strain the liquid before drinking.”
Question. Is Ber beneficial in strengthening the immune system?
Answer. Yes, Ber may assist to enhance the immune system because it includes particular elements that, due to their immunomodulatory properties, serve to boost immunity. It also protects cells from free radical damage in the body thanks to its antioxidant properties, which helps to improve the immune system.
Immunity may be harmed as a result of poor digestion, resulting in nutrient insufficiency in the body. Ber’s Deepan (appetiser), Ushna (hot), and Saarak (laxative) characteristics may assist maintain good immunity. Improved digestion helps the body avoid nutrient deficiencies and, as a result, enhances internal health and immunity.
Question. Does Ber help in keeping your bones and teeth healthy?
Answer. Yes, Ber may help keep bones and teeth healthy because it includes a significant level of calcium, which gives bones and teeth strength.
Yes, Ber’s Balya (strength giver) property may assist you in maintaining the health of your bones and teeth. This keeps your bones healthy, which helps to strengthen your skeletal system.
Question. Is Ber fruit good for diabetes?
Answer. Yes, ber fruit is beneficial to diabetics. This is related to the fact that it lowers blood sugar levels. Ber’s antioxidant properties also help to minimise the incidence of diabetic problems.
Question. What are the benefits of Ber leaves?
Answer. The action of the leaves can be attributed to a number of elements. Antipyretic (fever-reducing) properties are present in the leaves. The leaves can also help you lose weight.
Question. Does Ber have a role in wound healing?
Answer. Ber does play a part in wound healing. It aids wound healing by promoting wound contraction and closure. It aids in the formation of collagen, which is necessary for wound healing. Ber also possesses antibacterial and antioxidant effects. It protects the skin from infection and aids in the recovery process.
Vitamin C, B1, and B2 are abundant in this fruit. Ber seed powder or Ber tea may aid in weight loss due to the presence of fibre and vitamin C, both of which aid in body metabolism and, as a result, digestion.