Walnut (Juglans regia)
Walnut is an important nut that not only improves memory but also has a number of therapeutic characteristics.(HR/1)
Walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important healthy fats that lower the risk of heart disease. Due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics, walnuts are also regarded a super food for brain health. Due to the inclusion of certain key fatty acids and nutrients, adding walnuts to one’s regular diet may help boost fertility in males by improving the quality and quantity of sperm. Walnut oil is utilised in the beauty business and has a variety of benefits. It helps to prevent acne, dry skin, and wrinkles, giving the skin a youthful look.
Walnut is also known as :- Juglans regia, Aksota, Sailabhava, Karparala, Akalbasing, Aakharotu, Akharoda, Akharot, Akrod pappu, Akrottu, Akrod, Akrod, Akharota, Akrotu
Walnut is obtained from :- Plant
Uses and benefits of Walnut:-
As per several scientific studies, uses and benefits of Walnut (Juglans regia) are mentioned as per below(HR/2)
- Coronary artery disease : Walnuts may aid in the prevention of coronary heart disease. It protects blood vessels from injury. Its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and lipid-lowering qualities contribute to this.
- High cholesterol : Walnut has been shown in studies to help lower LDL, or bad cholesterol levels.
An imbalance of Pachak Agni causes high cholesterol (digestive fire). Ama is produced when tissue digestion is hampered (toxic remains in the body due to improper digestion). This leads to the buildup of harmful cholesterol and the occlusion of blood arteries. Walnut aids in the improvement of Agni (digestive fire) and the reduction of Ama. Its Ushna (hot) potency is the reason for this. It also aids in the removal of pollutants from the blood vessels, which aids in the removal of blockages.
- Diarrhea : Walnut is useful in the treatment of diarrhoea.
- Diabetes mellitus (Type 1 & Type 2) : Walnuts, on the other hand, have no influence on blood sugar levels. It may aid with body weight and blood pressure control, but it has little effect on blood sugar levels.
Diabetes, also known as Madhumeha, is caused by a Vata imbalance and poor digestion. Impaired digestion causes an accumulation of Ama (toxic waste left in the body as a result of faulty digestion) in the pancreatic cells, impairing insulin activity. Walnut consumption on a regular basis aids in the recovery of sluggish digestion and the reduction of ama. This is owing to its balancing Ushna (hot) and Vata qualities.
- Anti-wrinkle : Wrinkles appear as a result of ageing, dry skin, and a lack of moisture in the skin. It appears owing to an exacerbated Vata, according to Ayurveda. Walnut oil aids in the reduction of wrinkles and enhances the skin’s moisture content. This is due to its balancing Snigdha (oily) and Vata characteristics. 1. Take a couple of drops of walnut oil. 2. Toss in some coconut oil. 3. Massage the afflicted region gently to relieve dry, flaky skin.
- Dead skin & Blackheads : Walnut scrub is really beneficial to the skin. It aids in the rejuvenation of skin by gently eliminating dead skin. It also removes clogs as well as any pollutants from the skin’s pores. Tip 1. Measure out 1/2 to 1 teaspoon walnut powder. 2. Mix in the honey thoroughly. 3. Massage the face and neck gently for 4-5 minutes. 4. Rinse completely under running water. 5. To get rid of blemishes and blackheads, apply this solution twice a week.
Precautions to be taken while using Walnut:-
As per several scientific studies, below precautions should to be taken while taking Walnut (Juglans regia)(HR/3)
- Walnut should be consumed in a specific dose and for a specific time period as it may cause certain side effects. Its is generally advised to consult your doctor while taking Walnut.
Special precautions to be taken while taking Walnut:-
As per several scientific studies, below special precautions should to be taken while taking Walnut (Juglans regia)(HR/4)
- Breastfeeding : Walnuts are safe to eat in little amounts. However, before taking Walnut supplements while breastfeeding, you should ask your doctor.
- Pregnancy : Walnuts are safe to eat in little amounts. However, before consuming Walnut supplements while pregnant, you should see your doctor.
How to take Walnut:-
As per several scientific studies, Walnut (Juglans regia) can be taken into the methods mentioned as per below(HR/5)
- Raw Walnut : Eat raw Walnut or add it to your preferred dessert. Take it as per your preference as well as demand.
- Walnut Powder : Take one fourth to half teaspoon Walnut Powder. Add to lukewarm water and have it after lunch as well as dinner.
- Walnut Capsules : Take one to two capsules of Walnut. Swallow it with water ideally after dishes.
- Walnut Scrub : Take half to one teaspoon of Walnut powder. Add honey to it. Gently massage therapy on the face and also neck for four to five minutes. Wash completely with tap water. Use this treatment two to three times a week to eliminate acnes and also blackheads.
- Walnut oil : Take two to three drops of Walnut oil. Add coconut oil to it. Gently massage on the afflicted area to do away with dry as well as flaking skin.
How much Walnut should be taken:-
As per several scientific studies, Walnut (Juglans regia) should be taken into the amounts mentioned as per below(HR/6)
- Walnut Powder : One fourth to half teaspoon twice a day, or, Half to one teaspoon or as per your requirement.
- Walnut Capsule : One to two capsules twice a day.
- Walnut Oil : Two to five drops or as per your requirement.
Side effects of Walnut:-
As per several scientific studies, below side effects need to be taken into consideration while taking Walnut (Juglans regia)(HR/7)
- Allergic Reactions
Questions asked frequently Related to the Walnut:-
Question. How many Walnuts should you eat a day?
Answer. Walnuts are actually a brain superfood. In the winter, 3-4 walnuts per day are advised, and 2-3 in the summer. Consult your dietician if you’re on a diet because it could increase your calorie consumption.
If your digestion is healthy and you can easily digest food, you can eat up to 4-5 walnuts each day.
Question. Do we need to soak Walnuts?
Answer. Soaking can be useful in the case of all nuts since they contain enzymes that are difficult to digest in their raw state. It is necessary to soak the nuts for 5-6 hours before eating them in order to make them easily digestible.
Before consuming walnuts, they should be soaked. Because of their Guru (heavy) feature, Walnuts are easy to digest. 1. Put 4-5 walnuts in a dish of water and leave them overnight. 2. Remove the peels the next day before eating.
Question. Almonds or Walnuts: Which is better?
Answer. Almonds and walnuts are both considered to be the best superfoods for the brain. The discrepancy is due to the amount of omega 3 in the body. When compared to walnuts, almonds have a higher Omega 3 content.
Question. Can Walnuts go bad?
Answer. Walnuts may be kept fresh for 6 months at room temperature, according to a study. 1 year in the refrigerator In the freezer for 1-2 years. After this time has passed, you must inspect their quality before using them.
Question. Does Walnut make you poop?
Answer. Walnut contains some laxative and purgative effects. As a result, it can help you poop and reduce constipation. If you have diarrhoea or have loose motions, you should use caution when using this medication.
Walnuts should be avoided if you are suffering from diarrhoea. Due to its Rechana (laxative) properties, it can aggravate diarrhoea.
Question. Does Walnut causes weight gain?
Answer. If you are not overweight, studies show that eating walnuts on a regular basis is beneficial to your health.
Walnuts should be avoided if you are overweight and already consume enough calories in your diet. Because of its Madhur (sweet) and Guru (heavy) qualities, it encourages weight gain.
Question. Are Walnuts good for the brain?
Answer. Walnuts are beneficial to the brain. Walnuts are high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Walnuts protect neurons from degeneration as they age. It also aids in the improvement of intellect.
Question. Can Walnuts help improve male fertility?
Answer. Yes, walnuts may aid in male fertility enhancement. According to a study, eating 75 grammes of walnuts per day can help enhance sperm quality, quantity, and morphology (normal size and form). This is because certain vital fatty acids (omega-3 and 6) as well as other key nutrients are present. Walnut leaf extract also includes components that help to increase sperm count.
Including walnuts in your daily diet can aid with sexual weakness as well as sperm quantity and quality. This is due to its aphrodisiac and Shukrala (increasing Shukra Dhatu) properties, which help men maintain their fertility.
Question. Are Walnuts good for high blood pressure?
Answer. Yes, walnuts aid in the management of high blood pressure due to the presence of important fatty acids such as Alpha linolenic Acid (ALA), which increase the synthesis of nitric oxide (NO). This aids in the relaxation of constricted blood vessels and the reduction of blood pressure.
Yes, walnuts may aid in the management of high blood pressure. Because of its Ushna characteristic, it controls cholesterol levels that cause artery constriction. This aids in the digestion of Ama. It also has Hrdya (heart tonic) properties, which aid to promote heart function and alleviate high blood pressure symptoms.
Question. Can Walnuts cause gas or flatulence?
Answer. There is insufficient scientific data to support the significance of walnuts in gas or flatulence management.
Walnut does not create farts or gas. However, because it is Guru (heavy to digest), it is difficult to digest and may create gas or flatulence if ingested in excess.
Question. Can eating too much Walnuts cause acne?
Answer. Walnut, on the other hand, can aid in the treatment of acne. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to reduce swelling and redness around pimples. It also prevents acne by inhibiting infection in the sebaceous glands (which create an oily substance called sebum).
Question. Are Walnuts beneficial to treat breast cancer?
Answer. Yes, walnut is helpful in the treatment of breast cancer because it inhibits the growth of malignant cells, allowing them to die and be removed from the body. Due to the presence of specific fatty acids, it also limits the multiplication of cancer cells in the breast, lowering the risk of breast cancer.
Question. Can Walnut cause hypersensitivity on the skin?
Answer. Walnut may induce allergic reactions in some people who are sensitive to it, while there isn’t enough data to support this.
If you have hypersensitive skin, mix walnut powder or oil with coconut oil or rose water before applying to the skin. Its Ushna (hot) potency is the reason for this.
Question. Are Walnuts good for hair?
Answer. There isn’t enough scientific data to back up the claim that walnuts are good for hair. Walnuts, on the other hand, are utilised in hair colour, and the vitamin E included in walnuts may help with hair development.
When applied to the scalp, walnut oil helps to reduce hair loss and promote hair growth. This is owing to the fact that hair loss is mostly caused by an irritated Vata dosha in the body. Walnut or walnut oil helps to prevent hair loss by balancing Vata. It also encourages hair development and eliminates dryness. This is related to the qualities of Snigdha (oily) and Ropan (healing).
Walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important healthy fats that lower the risk of heart disease. Due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics, walnuts are also regarded a super food for brain health.